Ronald Reagan said “government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem”.
And yet, millions of stupid people put him in charge of the government.
If I can give you only one reason why public transportation is awesome, it’s that you could converse for half an hour with a stranger about the soothing comedy of political memes (because talking about the weather gets boring after a while).
During our conversation this evening, we decided the only good way to understand memes is in the context of understanding how this circus functions.
It’s only because they’re not corporations, and corporations are people. When corporations love each other very much, they can bundle their money and make SuperPACs of DOOM!
Of course, when the people band together to fight corporate influence and exploitation, that’s wrong. When their organization chooses to donate to a political cause or candidate, that’s corrupt. Yeah, totally makes sense.
People organizing = unpatriotic, corrupt union
Businesses organizing = US Chamber of Commerce.
This is so reprehensible there are no words I can think of to adequately condemn its dark-heartedness and soulessness.
I first heard of it on Keith Olberman’s show the other night and more details are now coming out. It involves a scheme that Rick Perry and former Senator Phil Gramm (both of Texas) cooked up to make money off the deaths of retired Texas teachers. Gramm was working for USB, a huge Swiss Bank, to develop a pool of life insurance benefits that would be sponsored by USB. Perry was going to offer retired Texas teachers life insurance policies with the beneficiaries being USB. In conjunction with that, Perry was going to cut health insurance benefits that were currently being paid out to the Texas teachers to be replaced by these “policies.”
There’s a name for it — Dead Peasants — and is simlar to a scheme that Wal Mart has utilized.
BTW, USB was involved with the “too big to fail” bank failures just a few years ago.
**This is the guy that the present majority of Republicans want to be their nominee for president. This low-life scumbag could be our next President.**
(1) Perry allowed the execution of a likely innocent man, then impeded an investigation into the matter.
(2) Perry wants to repeal the 16th and 17th amendments, ending direct election of U.S. senators and the Federal income tax.
(3) Perry proposed letting states drop out of social security and medicaid.
(4) Texas is the country’s biggest polluter, but Perry sued the federal government for disapproving of the state’s air quality standards.
(5) Perry designated as “emergency legislation” a bill requiring all women seeking abortions to have sonograms first.
(6) Perry gutted childcare services, even as Texas childhood poverty hit 25%
(7) Perry was a strong supporter of Texas’s anti-sodomy laws.
(8) Perry is a stimulus hypocrite who loudly criticized federal recovery money, but used it to balance his state’s budget.
(9) Perry said that Texas might have to secede from the United States
(10) Despite having the worst uninsured rate in the country, Perry claims that Texas has “the best health care in the country.
Click the link above to see more information about each of these items.